As part of its annual Thanksgiving Meal Distribution initiative, Mission United, a program under United Way of Broward County, calls for donations through Operation Turkey Dinner. The program aims to provide hundreds of Thanksgiving meals to active military personnel, veterans, and their families during Thanksgiving week as a gesture of gratitude.
Founded in 2013, Mission United supports U.S. military service members, Veterans, and their families in Broward County by helping them acclimate to civilian life. There are two ways that the public can help support Operation Turkey Day:
1. Donate $75 to sponsor a Thanksgiving meal for four people.
2. Donate a box of groceries/supplies needed to make a Thanksgiving Dinner and then deliver it to United Way of Broward County’s Ansin Building (1300 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale). The instructions are below:
- Community members can pick up Operation Turkey Day Boxes at United Way of Broward County’s Ansin Building.
- They should then fill the box with the following items:
- Two 6 oz. boxes of instant stuffing mix (Stove Top Style)
- Two 15 oz. cans of whole-kernel corn
- One 14 oz. can of jellied cranberry sauce.
- One 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- One package of cornbread mix
- Two cans of yams
- One graham cracker pie crust
- Two 12 oz. jars of turkey gravy
- One package of pumpkin pie spice
- One (1) 13 oz. box of instant mashed potatoes
- One 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- One 16 oz. bag of marshmallows
- One (1) roll of 25’ aluminum foil
- One (1) $25 gift card for a grocery store
- Drop the filled Operation Turkey Day box at United Way of Broward County’s Ansin Building between Nov. 13 and Nov. 16.
For more information, please visit UnitedWayBroward.org/OperationTurkeyDinner23.